Sunday, 13 October 2013

Altered Art





I have to say that I got the idea for this project from Julia .  On her blog was a tag using cardboard which had been peeled back to show the corrugated bit.














I found some cardboard and revealed the corrugated underside.  I painted this using three acrylic paints, gold, red and black, using the dry brush method until I was happy with the result. 








Next I focused on the base, which was a piece of MDF.  I used the red and gold.   Next I applied a mask and using gold paint for the leaves,  and then added a few red ones.  The background was largely going to be covered up so it didn't need to be perfect.












I used a die to cut some small roses out of brown paper from a Papermania pack.  These were painted using the same colours as for the cardboard, then I added some gilding wax.











I decided that I didn't want all of the corrugated cardboard to be seen.  I measured a piece of brown card,  painted it with the red, gold and black,  tore it and then used an embossing folder. I did the same with a smaller strip.  I wanted to break up the corrugation.




To finish the piece off I used some die cut letters,  a small MDF candle, coloured and embossed.  I used a stamp to make the tag (Little Girl),  embossing it with copper powder.  I added some left over bits from a necklace in the bottom corner, and the Art Comes... tag.

I also decorated the back with some embossed card.  A fairly simple project.  Time was taken up by stripping back the cardboard to reveal the corrugation,  and making the roses, which once cut have to be wound round and then glued.  Memo to self, get some glue sticks!   I have a hot glue gun, but no glue sticks - doh! 

I also ordered some Clarity stamps today,  just couldn't resist the leaves,  which actually would have gone well with this project!   I may do it all again but using the leaves when I get them.    Then blow me on the Tool shed there were more leaf stamps, and a die set!   I would have liked both but can't afford them :-( 

I had some good news this week my neighbour came home from hospital.  I have to say I wasn't impressed at how his discharge was handled.  I'd taken delivery of some equipment for him, a zimmer and two perching stools, all of which needed adjusting. I assumed that someone would bring him home to make sure he could cope, adjust the stools and zimmer, instead he came home by ambulance on his own.   The hospital had provided him with a few basics, some sandwiches, milk etc.  Nor were his family there to welcome him!   It's been left to us neighbours to keep an eye on him, the district nurses are coming to see him, but no sign of his family since Thursday. 

And it is officially cold!   I finally caved in and got the duvet out of storage, and packed away the summer togs.    A friend bought me a beautiful owl bed set,  so that will be going on this week.   The winter curtains are up, the place is now quite cosy. 

Well I can't wait to get my new stamp set, and try out some of the techniques Barbara Gray has been using over this weekend.  I've tried one using the gelli plate,  she put some ink on, water based adirondiac,  then spread it out with the brayer,  put the stamp into it then stamped in the normal way.  Mine wasn't quite as successful,  I hadn't used enough ink and I'd forgotten to clean the stamp which was a bit dusy. 

That's all for now,  enjoy your week and stay warm. 



5 comments:

Butternutsage said...

I love all of this card and the lovely details that you posted on your blog. TFS~Donna

Cazzy said...

Wow, this is a beautiful piece, I must get me some gilding wax!

Cazzy x

JayBe said...

Fabulous textured piece - thanx for sharing with us at Make My Monday.
Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

Fandhmum said...

Lovely project, thanks for joining in at Make My Monday this week
Rosie x

Suzi B said...

Lots of lovely texture! Thank you for joining us at MMM
Suzi B x

Visitors