Sunday, 31 July 2016

Time to think Big!

Evening, sorry for not posting much lately,  will explain later. In the meantime a new property arrived: Marshalswick House, which is the big and posh house on Memory Lane.

It is easily the biggest little house I've constructed so far, I mean, look at all those windows!   Eight windows, one door, actually it is a posh door as you will soon see.  I had to focus on the front, it was going to need the most work, and also needed a lot of thought.  I had to decide how to do it, brick or render, if render, what type of render?   Then it was important to get the colour right, it couldn't be an 'in your face' colour, it had to be a bit upmarket,  but also a little shabby round the edges.  So, once the wallpapering was done (forgot to take pics of inside, will do so soon),  it was on to the front, and out with the paper clay.

I covered the front with a piece of paper clay,  then left it to dry. It was rolled to about 2 mm,  I covered the front with a solution of PVA and water,  this helps to seal the MDF.  Then before I applied the paperclay I applied some modpodge, then carefully teased out any bubbles in the clay.  It takes about 24 hours to dry completely.   I find it best to do any trimming at this stage, before it dries, any remaining bits can be removed with sandpaper or a sharp blade. 

Once it was all dry I gave the clay a coat of the PVA and water solution,  this was to stop the clay absorbing too much paint.  Then I gave it a thin coat of paint, brandy cream, followed by two more coats. 

Next task, to fit all the windows and window ledges. I'd already given the window frames a coat of white paint, which was dulled down a little, did not want them to look too bright or new.  

I also used some molding paste as filler to cover any holes or gaps beneath the window ledges. 

I then had to cover the door 'frame', the external frame, with more paper clay,  I did the same with the step.  They were both fixed on with molding paste, this helped prevent any gaps. 

I'm now experimenting with some extra window decoration.  Think these are a little too fat, I might also make some quoins.   Then I have to do the roof, and finish off the rest of the brick work.  I'll take some proper pics over the next couple of days. 

I've been busy with appointments,  hospital and counselling.  This week I had to go to a different hospital to have my moles looked at.  I went prepared for the usual wait, took my kindle so I could read my new book.  Just got settled in the waiting room and, my name was called!   I had all my moles checked, and was given the all clear,  nurse explained what they all were and that I was fine, but I had done the right thing by getting them checked.   Then on Wednesday morning, I had my second counselling session,  it was more intense this time, and my counsellor explained that he was thinking that I may need a more indepth form of counselling, possibly psychotherapy.   I could have cried,  at last, someone was listening!    He'd taken on board all I'd said,  and wanted to know more,  so we talked for a good 45 minutes, and by the end of it he suggested that I needed the next level of counselling.  This does mean a wait, but it will only be a couple of weeks.    I'd actually gone to that session to say that I didn't want CBT again, it hadn't worked the last time,  in fact the mental health nurse felt that my first counselling experience back in 2013 had been mishandled,  they should not have attempted CBT, but recommended that I have a proper assessment.  The service I'm using now is totally different to that which was on offer in 2013,  and already it feels so much better.  

But my pain levels are really bad,  and the tiredness is back.  Hence I've not really felt up to blogging, or much else to be honest.   I did make it to Tesco,  he needed food, and food delivery wasn't due for another couple of days. So got Him food and treated myself to an art magazine, good job I did as there is a lovely exercise to try.  Don't usually buy magazines,  I'm fed up of the craft mags, they are all much of a muchness,  and as for the other stuff, the gossip types, hate them.  I downloaded the new Erica James novel, slowly working my way through it, oh it isn't a hard read, far from it, it just takes me ages to read a book.  Funny when I think about it, after all I have a degree in English Literature,  and used to read all the time.   If I'm honest there is a whole stack of books I've bought but have yet to read,  I hope one day that my love of reading will return. 

My brain also feels foggy,  my GP suggested I take a heavier dose of one of my painkillers for the back pain. I had a think and have added one more tablet,  not sure I want to take much more as they do make me feel drowsy.  I am seeing if I can do without the HRT,  so far so good,  just keeping my fingers crossed that the menopause symptoms have gone.   The horrendous heat the other week didn't do me any favours,  I hope we don't have a repeat of it.  I love the sun,  and I like it being warm, just not 34 C, that is just too much.  Poor Harvey also suffered,  I discovered that he'd missed his litter tray and had urinated on the carpet!   I got some stuff from the pet shop, and soaked the carpet with it, had to do it a few times, then a neighbour pitched in and gave it a good scrub.  The smell has gone thank goodness.  I can't think why he did it, he's never done anything like that before, not even when he first came to live with me, so I can only put it down to that heatwave.  I made sure he had plenty of water, but he didn't feel like eating, so I think he must have become a little dehydrated and so a bit confused.  He's now back to his usual self, but not happy that the new cat downstairs got a bit cheeky and came in the other day.  They had a big fight,  fortunately Harvey wasn't hurt, and I chased the other cat.  It's not a very nice cat, seems to be a bit of a bully and has had a few arguments with the other cats in the road. 

Now it is diary time.  Hope to blog more this week!  Take care

No comments: