Tuesday 19 February 2013

A distressed state

Let's hear it for the sun!   Four days of sunshine - it has been bliss. But it also makes me want to be out in the fresh air,  yes, no bad thing,  but that means no crafting.   I got back to it today after enjoying a walk.

I had bought a small frame,  cost me £1.70!   My aim was to distress it.  So had to first sand it back to the wood, then give it a couple of coats of gesso.  Next came the thinking time - what colour should it be?    I decided on blue,  so gave it a coat of dark blue paint, then the PVA glue, a thin layer, then a top layer of pale blue.  Then I aimed the heat gun at it, and here is the result!    It went exactly as planned,  which makes a change.   I had been to the craft shop, needed a few more poster paints, then spotted this lovely butterfly die....  it fluttered into my basket - honest.   It is a Marianne die, I've now got quite a few of of her dies. 

I had a hunt for some vellum,  knew there was some lurking around.  I cut two butterflies, one in silver mirri and one in vellum.   The die cut with no probs,  perhaps the cuttlebug knows I'm wishing for a Grand Calibur?   This is a nice big die,  it fitted the frame perfectly,  I just needed some accents.  More rummaging and I found the small blue flowers, they just need a coat of glossy accents, or crackle glaze.  For the background I used some coredinations and used the tree grain embossing folder, and some sanding.

I am chuffed with the distressing technique, it does save on buying the crackle glaze.  On the video I saw the demonstrator had applied the PVA glue thickly,  which I tried with some success,  though I got more of a bubble effect.  So this time I applied a thin layer,  made sure that the base coats were thoroughly dry, in fact I left the frame overnight.  I am much happier with this result than the last one, though the thicker layer can look like rust.

I am intending to enter a couple of challenges this week,  so I've started prepping my entry for Artful Times, which is all about colour.  I checked the ABAC challenge, that is to do with the number 13,  was feeling clueless but now I have an idea which will involve another frame and a cat. 

Just over a week to go now to my much needed weekend away, off to the Lakes with some friends for an arty time.  We've rented two nice cottages, so we should be lovely and cosy.  Mum keeps asking me the dates I keep telling her and she then forgets!    The sunny weather has cheered her up, and at least she now wants to go out,  I'm pleased about that as she was in danger of taking root in her fancy chair.    I'm part way through a declutter,   I really do need to sort out the stash.  The bedroom also needs a good lick of paint, and a change around.   I'll be doing that when I come back from my weekend. 

Tomorrow is housework and then crafting,  weather is going to change and will be colder.  On Thursday I am meeting a friend for coffee, that will be nice,  we have chosen the cafe bar down at the marina. 

All for now folks, thanks for stopping by

1 comment:

BJ said...

Simply gorgeous Cassidy.

Visitors