Monday 21 June 2010

All al dente

Yep I am now horizontally challenged,  just spent 4 days in Glastonbury, a stress free zone.   The weather was glorious,  wall to wall sunshine and blue sky for first two days, just a few wispy clouds thereafter.    Only disappointment was the match,  my friend and I decided to go watch it in a pub,  the match was excruciating to watch...   luckily there was a free barbecue,  even so the football was diabolical.

Also went to Cheddar Gorge,  I'm sure I've been there before, but never stopped to look at it properly.  A fantastic place,  we went into the caves,  sadly there was only one ticket on offer at £17, which let you have access to all the caves and open top bus,  but we didn't really fancy doing all that.   Even so the caves were amazing,  and very cold!    I was going to buy some proper cheddar cheese, then saw the price and thought otherwise.    Did get a few goodies, and we had indulged in some retail therapy the day before at Street, which has a retail outlet park, lots of bargains on offer,  I got some nice T shirts,  all different brands and all at bargain basement prices.  I was after some sandals, but didn't like any I saw, and one pair at the Nike shop were darned uncomfortable, had a really odd insole.   Of course Glastonbury High Street was choc full of all things mystical and magickal,  got a few crystals, and another buddha statue!  Was also hankering after a singing bowl,  but not at £68, then they had to nerve to sell the wooden stick you play it with separately - a bit cheeky. 

On our final day we went to the Tor,  sadly it was very cloudy in the morning,  it took me ages but I managed to get to the top, not sure how,  did stop a lot,  there were a couple  of benches I took advantage of.  I had a long rest at top, then we headed back down, which was far worse than going up, I wondered at one stage if the mountain rescue people could have done with a training exercise just to get me to the bottom.  We went round corner and spent a couple of hours at the Chalice Well, which is so peaceful and tranquil.   Then off for lunch at the Blue Note in Glastonbury, great food, but service needs working on.  Too many dirty tables I'm afraid,  and service was a bit slap dash, tho far better than we'd had in the oldest pub there, which left much to be desired. 

Have posted my pic of the Tor,  I did regret the climb after,  but at same time glad I managed it.  Only one blot on the whole thing, the journey home,  it was all plain sailing until I got to Birmingham, then I hit one traffic jam, roadworks, of course with no-one doing any work.  Then was happily trucking along and then spotted that the M6 was shut between J16/17,  by a serious accident, but too late to get off motorway.  Was stuck there for a good half hour, then we all noticed a rolling road block coming up led by a police car,  so I assumed that they were going to open the motorway.... and did they?  NO!   They just made it ten times worse.  I had to come off at J16 and do a detour which took forever, or so it felt.    I really do object to the police closing the motorway for hours on end,   the accident had been cleared, all casualties removed, but of course they can treat it as a crime scene so can close the motorway for as long as they like.  Ridiculous.  I'd left Glasto at 10.20,  got home at 5.30... very unamused. 

So back to reality....  hey ho, but Wimbers is on! 

No comments:

Visitors