Saturday 20 November 2010

Do you Udu?

On left is a udu, a clay drum as used by the igbo tribe in Nigeria.   I was sort of playing something similar today and having a fab time of it.   It has a very gentle sound to it,  and is a female instrument, made by women of the Igbo tribe.   I had such fun and came out thoroughly chilled. 

Such workshops tho bring you in contact with some fantastic and interesting people.   I met one such today, a Tai Chi instructor, she told the tale of being invited by a group of pensioners to hold a Tai Chi class at the local church in their village,  except the vicar was not happy, he saw it as voodoo..   Oh please.   He took some convincing, and a petition and boycott of the church before he came round.   What is with these people?  Such thinking belongs to the dark ages, this is the 21st Century!   Can we not move on?  I always thought and believe that religion is about tolerance,  diversity and understanding.  Instead I just see and come up against bigotry and hatred,  a protectionism from within.  So stupid, what have they to fear?  Change?  Blimey if the human race had feared change we'd still be in caves.    Same with all the idiots who do not want women bishops,  I think you'll find that a woman played a crucial part in the birth of Jesus.. so if she figured large in his life why not in the church?   I'm just so sick of it all,  a book that has been rewritten, skewed to suit whatever age has been used to keep control, or maintain male domination.   Once upon a time the religious lot did not want the bible translated into English, they were fearful the masses may ask questions! 

Back to my drum,  yes I have one,  well I couldn't not come away without having my own drum!   It was safely strapped into the passenger seat.  It is such a tactile thing, it makes you want to touch it, stroke it, play it.  I do intend to decorate mine,  need to get the required materials first, well some ink... got the rest in my stash.   I know what I want to put on it, and when it is all done I'll take a photo.

All for now folks,  thanks for stopping by

1 comment:

Cazzy said...

Looks intriguing Cass, how big is it?

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Cazzy x

Visitors