Thursday 6 January 2011

Have car will travel

So today was the day - my new car was ready to be picked up.   As daft as it sounds I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve,   all tingly,   and woke up at 3 a.m.!  Unamused,   of course I finally got back to sleep just when I really needed to be getting up.  Typical.   But no worries, car would be ready from 10 a.m.   So I headed off at 10 a.m.,  went to bus stop and waited for a bus to appear,  another lady joined me and asked if a bus was due,  said I had no idea and usually went by car.  So we got talking, another lady joined us,  the mother of one of my neighbours,  so she asked what had happened to my old car.   Had to got thru all that,  and I found out that a lot of people knew, the dog walkers that pass thru our road,  plus others on the way to the corner shop, and all were angry on my behalf.    Bus arrived and I was off to pick up my new car. 

Dealt with all the paperwork first, and they still needed to go get it taxed.   Salesman said he'd go get my car and put some petrol in it, now from where I was sitting I could see the petrol pump, to be honest I expected him to put in say a gallon, maybe two.. but nope,  he filled it right up!  Next bonus was being told that the car had only been MOT'd in September 2010,  and mechanic said it wasn't worth doing it again, so they gave me a free MOT for this  September, which is brilliant, means car tax and MOT don't coincide.  Then he took me thru all the need to know stuff about the car, and then left me to get to know it while I waited for chap to come back with tax disc.   That was nice,  so I could play with everything and get to know where everything was.  The car felt as tho she were mine,  as daft as that sounds, but I just felt very comy with the car,   then had quick fag, and salesman reappeared and asked why I was still in garage as the chap who'd gone for tax disc was back.  So slight delay, and then I was off,  me and my new car, Little Mo, in honour of my old and very wonderful neighbour who died two years ago.   I took her for a little drive,  just so we could get to know one another, but it didn't take long,  we were in tune right from the get go,  found biting point on clutch,  remembered that I now had power steering and off I went.  I thank my army driver training, they were so thorough in teaching how to become acquainted with a strange car.   So we had a nice little tootle round the area,   then off home to introduce her to her new abode, she seemed happy to find another Nissan Micra next to her.   So a spot of lunch and back out again,  wanted to see what she could do on a dual carriageway,  mum came with me so we headed out to a garden centre,  had a mooch round, a coffee and then headed home. 
The really nice thing was that I rediscovered my joy of driving,  for so long it had been just a chore,  never really got along with the corsa,  it was a good car and did all that was asked of her, but it never felt like it 'loved' car.   Little Mo is something different,  I wasn't bothered about being caught in traffic,  she was a joy to drive.   It was also nice to have a fully functioning radio, one that behaved itself, didn't change channels or volume at will...   Oh bliss.   Last time I felt this positive/good about a car was my little fiesta,  a bog standard model, but with oodles of personality and oomph.   She also was a joy to drive,  and had the reg HLV, and my mum decided that stood for Happy Little Vehicle, and she was. 

So I am roadworthy again. And feeling a whole lot better, mostly cos of the kindness shown to be by that car salesman,  he went that extra mile for me,  and that always makes a difference.  

Oh was going to include actual pic of car, but haven't got round to taking one yet,  so just got one from Google,  my Little Mo looks exactly like the pic, same colour etc. 

Thanks for stopping by... 

No comments:

Visitors