Friday 2 August 2013

Getting in a Tangle

I've been in a bit of a tangle this week, Zen Tangling!   I went to a workshop on Monday morning, and can say that it was a very good way to start the week.  We learnt how to do the basic shapes,  it was so relaxing.   I picked up 3 pens,  and a stamp (more of that in a minute).   Back at home I got tangling,  just messing with the patterns,  found loads on the internet,  and just doodled all afternoon.   This is one tangle,  I drew round a wooden heart,  and then filled it with a pattern.  Believe it or not the pattern is made up of the letter 'S',  you go horizontal and then vertical,  and you get this lovely pattern. 


Then I used the stamp I'd bought, it is a Woodware stamp and is rather gorgeous just as it is.  But if you add in some tangles then you get a different look.  Liz, who took the workshop had also given us a stamped image to tangle at some point, not sure I'm ready for that challenge!  Of course Mel Heaton is a great fan of Zen Tangle,  it is always fascinating to watch her.

Thursdays are when I have my counselling session, and my counsellor always reminds me to 'do something nice' after the session.  That usually involves a walk round the shopping centre, mostly window shopping. 


But this week I needed a few bits, boring stuff like bleach, so I popped into the Pound Shop, which as you know can also be a great resource for us crafters.  So I was delighted when I saw this quirky frame,  it was plain, but I liked the angle of the aperture and it was only a £1.   It is plastic, so wasn't sure what I could use on it,  but I took a chance with some embossing powdering.    I dabbed some watermark through a mask then sprinkled on the powder,  crossing fingers I had to hope that the frame wouldn't melt....  phew it didn't! 

Of course the brain ache came from wondering what to put inside the frame.  I wanted to stick to the monochrome theme, but get away from a white background.  Next question: did I have any black card?  Yep, luckily I did, so using an Indigo blu stamp and some white detail powder I created the Tell Time clock, or Dandelion clock. 

Here's some Dandelion Folklore I found: +

Folklore says that blowing the seeds off a dandelion is said to carry your thoughts and dreams to your loved one. At least, so they say... Source: "Unusual Vegetables, Something New for this Year's Garden," Rodale Press Emmaus, PA.

"Are you separated from the object of your love? Carefully pluck one of the feathery heads; charge each of the little feathers composing it with a tender thought; turn towards the spot where the loved one dwells; blow, and the seed-ball will convey your message faithfully. Do you wish to know if that dear one is thinking of you? blow again; and if there be left upon the stalk a single aigrette, it is a proof you are not forgotten. Similarly, the dandelion is consulted as to whether the lover lives east, west, north, or south, and whether he is coming or not." Source: "The Child and Childhood in Folk-Thought," by Alexander F. Chamberlain

"The dandelion is called the rustic oracle; its flowers always open about 5 A.M. and shut at 8 P.M., serving the shepherd for a clock." Source: Folkard (448. 309), from "The Child and Childhood in Folk-Thought," by Alexander F. Chamberlain

All rather fascinating!  It's one of those childhood memories,  like holding a buttercup under your chin to see if you like butter!   I'll have to pop back and get two more frames,  they also had them in black, which means of course I can reverse the theme, and use some of my flower stamps.

I'm starting to prep the hall ready for decorating.  It was a tad cooler today so I washed down the walls.   Tomorrow is a lazy day,   maybe a walk if I'm not too stiff from the wall washing exertions. Oh did I say lazy,  just remembered I have a full basket of laundry!   Rats.  And of course some crafting,  saw Sheena use a new technique that I'm eager to try,  it should be cooler over the weekend. Yesterday was almost unbearable. 

Enjoy your weekend,  and thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

BJ said...

WOW Cassidy the zentangle is brilliant and the dandelion frame is fantastic, love it all. BJ

Visitors