Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Now I'm a thatcher

The thatching began yesterday.  This was my trial run.  Wasn't sure how to thatch,  looked at the instructions and it seemed straightforward... mistake!   Mine,  the roof used on the instructions was 1:12, I was doing 1:48,  a quarter of the size.   I wasn't finding it easy to use the spray glue on the small roof, so I tried some sealant as another website suggested. Well it was sort of working,  but it was also very messy. 

So I stopped and left it to dry.  Today I discovered a big flaw in using sealant, it can peel off.  So back to square one.  I popped round to the DIY shop,  and found some super stick PVA. Back at the ranch I gave it a go, and after a bit of fiddling, I began to get the hang of it.  The PVA is much easier,  I learned to just leave it a few minutes to get really tacky, and was using a spreader to tap the thatch into place.   It is looking mess at the moment but all will be okay, she hopes!   No, it will need a haircut at the end, so the mess will disappear. 

I have two huge bundles of thatch, plenty to do a lot of tiny rooves.    I prefer to use what is now regarded as the old fashioned term for the plural of roof,  but 'roofs', nah...   doesn't work for me.

So more thatching tomorrow,  or I hope as my cousin is popping over but snow has been forecast, just have to see what the weather brings. 

No comments: