Saturday 28 April 2012

A spot of shopping

It was off to the craft fair this morning.  Arrived at 10.15 and already they were queuing to get in,  once inside it was jam packed.  I was on a mission, to find an embossing machine or a cuttlebug.  Well after my first sweep alls I saw was the grand calibur and the Big Shot, niether of which I wanted or could afford.   Then I spotted a familiar machine... I'd seen it either on CnC or QVC.  It was set up for a demo on the Crafter's companion stall,  but would it take all the folders?    The answer was yes,  even better they had an offer on the machine, for another £6 they'd put in all six A5 card packs!

 So mission accomplished, but it seemed rude not to visit the pound stall and look for some nice folders!

And as you can see I was successful.  I got lots at the pound stall,  some stamps,  small embossing folders,  two sets of chipboard tags,  5 packs of gemstones,  DST and butterfly toppers.   The machine was the real star buy.  I also found some nice embossing folders,  3 for £11,  tho the chap tried to charge me full price so I had to remind him of his own offer.  I also spotted some lovely Indigo Blu stamps but was surprised to see them far dearer than my own local craft shop.   The idea of the craft fair is to get stuff a little cheaper,  not pay more.  I did see some other cheeky prices.   It was just too packed to stay for long.   So I headed home with my new toys.

And here is what I created, well the first tag of the afternoon.   Now armed with the Texture Boutique, posh name eh?  I got cracking,  I used the barbed wire folder,  sadly I couldn't line up the folder to complete the strip, so was a bit inventive and used a small folder for the end bit!  I took one of the butterfly toppers and used some glossy accents on it,  chose two small flowers and a sentiment, which I stamp onto a separate card. I rounded off the corners on the tag using a corner punch.  I wanted to use these lovely assorted gems on the flowers, one of my pound stall bargains!     I got two packs, but now wish I'd got more.  Hindsight?   Though it was difficult to get anywhere near the stall,  and I couldn't face the thought of going back.  It seems to me that a lot of people leave their manners at home when they are at craft fairs, some are just downright rude.

This is the finished tag.   I'm very pleased with how it turned out.   The embossing makes all the difference.   And the card is so lovely to work with,  you can also sand it to give a distressed effect.     I had to trim round the butterfly as it had a white border,  the glossy accents aren't showing up on the photo.  I wanted a thin layer so used a brush.  Well no-one has ever told me that you can't brush on glossy accents,  it also ensures an even layer.

My crafting didn't end there,  made two more tags,  but I'll post pics of them tomorrow.   A very good day!    And the new gizmo works a treat,  nice clear instructions for how to make the 'sandwich',  plus a nice and very useful booklet on tips and hints. It is also so dinky.   It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but as someone has just said to me if you already have an electronic die cutting machine then you don't need a cuttlebug,  just something that embosses.   This is half the price of the cuttle bug,  well slightly less than half,  so it is affordable.   Not all of us crafters have fat bank accounts.  

I'll be playing again tomorrow! 

No comments:

Visitors