Wednesday 24 June 2009

how to upset a doctor!


Not that I cared... it was my OT appointment with the doctor this time. He's nice, but think the fact I'd complained about my previous appointment with the nurse may have bugged him a bit. He went on the attack, saying my consultant hadn't actually said if I would or wouldn't recover from my injury, or be able to do my job. Well my consultant has said to me verbally that any job involving standing for long periods is now out of the question... so I says: well doctors always hedge their bets... silence! Then along the way I mentioned my ambulance experience, and he sits up, course he knows that I know a bit about the old body and about how the medical lot work!

He was dismissive initially, but then softened. I wasn't there to cause ructions, I just want some straight answers, at least he gave them. No redeployment, council is not recruiting, so I will have to go for medical retirement. All depends on next appointment at hospital, and whether we can all agree that it is the blasted wires that are causing me the problems or the knee.

I know I should be anxious about losing my job, but to be frank I'd had enough. It is not the easy job most think it is, library work that is. It is a very physical job, and then there is the public..., most of whom are really very nice, but there is that ten per cent that make life unbearable. And even during my short career behaviour has got worse, and those more experienced than me agree. I'm also sick of targets, I mean what are you supposed to do, yank people off the street? Half the problem is that libraries are not libraries any more, many are put off coming in by what they find inside. Kids running amok, they're noisy, the choice of books can be rubbish (cos of targets).... so I am happy to be walking away. Or hobbling away.

Funny, I've never held a job for more than ten years.... not just itchy feet! Twice now I've had to give up because of health issues.

If I had a few spare quid I'd open a craft shop and be very content...

And ain't it lovely! All this sunshine and warm weather... bliss... we had a lovely cool breeze, which took the edge of the heat. Long may it continue, till October would be nice!

No comments:

Visitors